How does that make you feel?


Actually...

I feel as if I was locked in a tumble drier.
Now I've fallen out...
I'm slightly burnt (my skin is raw)
I'm covered in bruises.

This is the state of my true self...
Not helped by having to chase up the mental health team who have not returned my phone calles Re: changing their visit time tomorrow.

It is hard living with someone who keeps on telling me that he is going to die
And if only he could have had a test then he'd know..
The il-logic of it is hard work.

Harder living under the threat that your son will be taken away 'for his own good' because a good patient would take his drugs.

Yesterday I paid the money to get a private nMRI scan for Service User.
Don't know if it will get him one.
I assume putting someone in an nMRI scanner involves ethics...
Here is my argument:

I am writing this on behalf of Service User (I am his mother).

Service User is under the care of the ----- ----- hospital mental health team. His presenting issue is the belief that he is suffering from progressive brain changes. He is anxious about his health and this anxiety (with underlying depression) feeds the belief that there are real brain symptoms.

His reasons for this belief are:

1/ that approximately one year ago he experienced severe fatigue visual disturbances and chronic frontal headaches, facial pain and problems with his coordination. About a month ago he experienced ‘another level’ of change and an increasing state of confusion, he reports short term memory loss.
2/ That his aunt experienced a 'breakdown' that has involved her becoming increasingly moribund, with reduced cognitive skills. He fears there may be a genetic factor, leading to brain deterioration.

The purpose of imaging is to help Service User differentiate physical from mental symptoms (to divide reversible from non-reversible change is how he sees it) I believe that imaging is the best way for Service User to begin to make correct interpretations of his experience.




Comments

Popular Posts