Autonomy woe..I need a philosopher.


Service User is supposed to be looking for his phone in his room.
This means he will be staring into the mirror.
I'm expecting a visitation from the doctor and 'health team'
And if they are not coming, the message will have gone to his phone.
Just got Service User to check his emails on the computer and I've read that the NMR people passed the request for a scan to the hospital and the hospital was meant to get in touch - with Service User of course - so have they, did they?
I cannot know...
And so I'm wondering how this situation could be improved....because I like pointless mental exercises.

OK, rewind.
Supporting autonomy means supporting someone's actual choices, I don't think it means supporting someone's inertia. Is a failure to engage with things a choice, or an absence or what? I think inertia is the best word, because it isn't anything.

What do I fear?
There is a danger in the disconnect for sure, disconnecting from university, the people he knew, the course he was following, loss of identity...coming back to the childhood home and acting like a child almost makes sense...but children are dis-empowered only until they have the foundation skills required for bigger tasks. This isn't his situation, but he makes it easier for us to unconsciously begin to dis-empower him.

Are we doing that?

How am I supporting his inertia is my question to myself?
And is the absence of the doctor and the team a result of mindfulness lady saying that perhaps it was a mistake to use the threat of sectioning?

Or is the absence a lateness and I can't start cheering yet?
I'm not going to know.

Another thing I'm not going to know is, when does this stop being my problem?
The reason it is my problem is, this is my house and Service User may, let's say he is like his aunt, think that the best way to proceed is to stay out of everyone's way and wait for the food. This has been her strategy, and her dad, because he wanted to know that she was safe, and because she said that she couldn't manage has encouraged her absence to the point incontinence.

Let's say Service User is facing this fear.
This is a Freudian notion I think...that a person has to be what he most hates, do what he most dreads, and keeps on doing it...repetition compulsion?
A defense mechanism then..
Does that make any sense at all?

Finding a rational explanation why Service User's aunt is in bed defeats me. I had assumed it was largely to do with a refusal to shout at her. Her mental illness was never to be spoken of. Her dad was scared of her rages, but as she is now so weak she couldn't fight her way out of a paper bag...

There was probably more to it.

Ah, the team has arrived..

Comments

Popular Posts